Re: Emacs and the Status Notification Specification

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Emacs and the Status Notification Specification
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:07:49 -0400

>     Please call the GNU ELPA as such, or GELPA, or something besides just
>     "ELPA."  I remember we had this discussion before and I've tried to be
>     consistent, using "GNU ELPA" when I mean "GNU ELPA."
>
> The problem with "GNU ELPA" as a name is that people will tend to
> think that "ELPA" is an abbreviation of it.  To avoid confusion, we
> need a name that is not similar to "ELPA".
>
> How about Remote Emacs Library?

If we abandon ELPA as a term for archives of this type, we need also to
come up with a replacement name for archives of this type.

But "Emacs Lisp Package Archive" is the natural name to use when
referring to archives made using package.el, which internally refers
ubiquitously to "packages" and "archives".  So it would be preferable to
use ELPA as the generic name.

It would help if tromey.com/elpa/ would rebrand itself as "Tom's ELPA"
or something along those lines, instead of "the" ELPA as it currently
(understandably) does.  This will reduce confusion not only with the GNU
ELPA, but also the personal ELPAs that a few users are apparently
starting to set up.

Tom, WDYT?