Re: problems with emacsclient started by cygwin programs (mswindows)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: problems with emacsclient started by cygwin programs (mswindows)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:17:55 -0400

> OK, changes below for my proposed hook.  Comments welcome.
> If I've not submitted this correctly and there's a FAQ about
> submitting, please point me to it and I'll gladly do it some other
> way.

I don't know Windows well enough to know exactly what should happen, but
here are some thoughts:
- you can solve your problem with something like cywin-mount.el.
  I know Eli doesn't like cywin-mount.el, but I think we should at least
  add such a feature to GNU ELPA.
- It might still make sense to want to understand cygwin-style file
  names from emacsclient without wanting cygwin-mount (which tries to
  handle cywin file names *everywhere*).  But then it should probably
  work not only for emacsclient but also for file name args to emacs
  itself (as a general rule, we should strive to make `emacs' and
  `emacsclient' command line handling more similar rather than more
  different).

        Stefan