Re: How does the Emacs bug tracker work?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: How does the Emacs bug tracker work?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:32:30 +0200

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 17:15, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:

> Similarly, we have lots of bugs tagged unreproducible and/or wontfix.
> We haven't been closing these, but if that bothers people, we could
> institute a policy of closing such bugs if there is no traffic after,
> say, a year.

Yes, please. I agreethat Wontfixes are perhaps valuables as
documentation, but closing them will not affect that.

As for Unreproducibles, if no additional information has been
forthcoming in a year, its likely that noone is really interested in
pursuing the issue (or perhaps it was fixed somehow and nobody noticed
or reported it).

> As for the rest of the old bugs, many are "long tail" issues that are
> difficult and/or time-consuming to debug and fix.

Yes. There are lots of bugs where there's a consensus that the problem
is real (though sometimes not what the OP reported), and then the
discussion sort of dwindles.

    Juanma