Re: bzr help, please

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bzr help, please
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:06:10 +0300

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 01:25:44 +0200
>
> Yeah.  But I'm wondering whether it's easier to just go back to the
> bound branch thingie.  :-)  I usually do rather small things on the
> Emacs code, so the main annoyance is that it takes so long to check
> stuff in.

If you are annoyed by committing to the bound branch, then use the
separate local branch and then merge to the bound one and commit.
This is the second workflow suggested by the Wiki.

However, if you don't rebase your local branch, that will have an
undesirable consequence of having several unrelated commits appear as
one revision on mainline (unless one uses -n0 switch to "bzr log").

Why is the commit time annoying, btw?  You could continue working
during that time, can't you?

> * change some stuff in some functions
> * test it
> * "bzr update"
> * write the changelog really really fast so that there's no other
>   commits getting in my way
> * commit from vc-mode
>
> The "write the ChangeLogs reall really fast" is, perhaps, the most
> annoying bit.  Because if I get a ChangeLog conflict, that's five
> minutes out the window while conflict-resoluting, bzr updating again,
> checking in again...

Install the changelog_merge plugin
(https://launchpad.net/bzr-changelog-merge), and you will never ever
have merge conflicts in ChangeLog files.  This will be included in the
next version 2.4 of bzr, but for now you will need to install it
separately.