Re: debbugs.el revisited

From: joakim
Subject: Re: debbugs.el revisited
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 01:08:31 +0200

> Christoph Scholtes <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> I'll add this to debbugs-gnu.el.
>>
>> Is this available anywhere to try out? I didn't see it in the trunk.
>
> It's in GNU ELPA, aka "the place where we put software that nobody will
> ever know where to find, and will never actually use".

In opensuse they had this bash hack called "zephyr". when you typed a
command that wasnt in the path it looked it up in the package database
and offered to install the corresponding package. They have the same
functionality in Fedora now but I cant find out the name of the program
that does this now.

Maybe we could have the same in Emacs? That is:

- m-x tarot

tarot isn't installed, but it is in elpa. Emacs has autoloads generated
from the elpa branch. Emacs realises tarot must be downloaded and
installed to run the command.

- prompt the user. If the user wants to:
  - download tarot from elpa
  - install
  - run tarot

Maybe it wouldnt work exactly like that, I dont know.

--
Joakim Verona