Re: Introduce eldoc support in minibuffer

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Introduce eldoc support in minibuffer
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 06:55:36 +0200

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>> when editing code in minibuffer (M-:) eldoc is not available.
>> This patch provide this feature.
>> eldoc is displayed in mode-line.
>
> Can the code that displays something in the modeline be used for something
> else?
Yes, try (eldoc-show-in-mode-line "foo")

> It could be used as a (much more functional) tooltip.
> For example C-s is great, but if one does not read the manual is hard to
> know about all it can do.  If we could display little help messages it
> would be easy to teach users about various nice features.
I don't use isearch, so i don't know what to display in mode-line, but i
imagine you can display something useful in mode-line, like a minimal
help depending of the context of your search.
I already use that in some places in ioccur and anything.
You can also in addition of a minimal help in mode-line display a
_full window_ with all the binding of isearch but without quitting isearch
like C-h m does actually.
It's not hard to do, just create a help function for isearch and bind it
in isearch map.

For example:
Try M-x anything-buffer+ then C-c ? to see what i mean.

--
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key: