Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 17:05:43 -0400

    Anyway, clearly this wouldn't be used for evil, but still I don't like
    the idea of Emacs "reporting home"
    when installed by sending mail.

I agree.  I do not propose to send a real message but rather a dummy
message to determine whether a MTA is functioning.

    But install options that makes it possible for a root that installs
    Emacs on a multi-user system to state
    how mail is used there sounds like a good idea.

If it requires the user to specify it, I think users will mostly
forget to specify that option, so it won't be right.

    I guess then Emacs packages for most GNU distributions would use these
    options, and then I guess
    most Emacs users would use Emacses configured in such a way.

If the package presupposes one setting or the other, it will be wrong
a lot of the time.  The packages would need to do this same test
to determine, at package install time, whether an MTA is configured.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation