Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 17:05:52 -0400

    FWIW, I almost never run make install as root for Emacs.

That susprises me -- could you explain why not?

Anyway, the crucial case here is a multi-user machine where the person
using Emacs does not understand system maintenance and did not install
Emacs himself.  This is the case where there is probably a functioning
MTA plus users who use it without knowing what it is.  In that case,
`make install' was run as root.

Thus, when `make install' is run not as root, it would be ok
not to decide, and let Emacs ask the user whatr to do.

The other way Emacs gets installed is from a package, via apt-get
or something like it.  That always gets done as root.

Thus, we can assume this test is done running as root.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation