Re: Problems with new smtpmail

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Problems with new smtpmail
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 21:48:50 +0200

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, but now it is ignored if listed on custom-set-variables even when
> smtpmail is loaded later:
>
> (custom-set-variables
>   '(smtpmail-default-smtp-server "foo"))
>
> (load "smtpmail")
>
> fails here (smtpmail asks for a smtp server while sending email).

The definition of these two variables hasn't changed.  It's still:

(defvar smtpmail-default-smtp-server nil
  "Specify default SMTP server.
This only has effect if you specify it before loading the smtpmail library.")

(defcustom smtpmail-smtp-server
  (or (getenv "SMTPSERVER") smtpmail-default-smtp-server)
  "The name of the host running SMTP server."
  :type '(choice (const nil) string)
  :group 'smtpmail)

The only change I've done is to make `smtpmail-default-smtp-server' a
defvar.

(custom-set-variables
  '(smtpmail-default-smtp-server "foo"))

on a defvar-ed variable still sets it, doesn't it?

So I'm wondering whether you're somehow loading smtpmail.el before you
set `smtpmail-default-smtp-server'.

Or is there something else subtle that I'm missing about going from a
defcustom to a defvar?