Heads up about needing a "make clean" at some point

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Heads up about needing a "make clean" at some point
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 23:55:44 +0200

sendmail.el has the following code:

;; Prevent problems with `window-system' not having the correct value
;; when loaddefs.el is loaded. `custom-reevaluate-setting' needs the
;; standard value.
;;;###autoload
(put 'send-mail-function 'standard-value
     ;; MS-Windows can access the clipboard even under -nw.
     '('sendmail-query-once))

;; Useful to set in site-init.el
;;;###autoload
(defcustom send-mail-function 'sendmail-query-once

[...]

  :initialize 'custom-initialize-delay

This code is no longer necessary, since `send-mail-function' is a
constant now.

But removing it has shown itself to be slightly tricky.  If I remove the
`put' and the :initialize, and then say "make", and then start "emacs
-Q", `send-mail-function' will then be nil.

Meaning you can't send mail at all.

Doing a "make clean; make" will fix this, since that will rebuild the
autoloads properly.

So this needs to be done, but you need to be aware that you will need to
do a "make clean", unless somebody comes up with a better way to fix
this.

I will not be applying this today, and I'm away the next two days at a
jazz festival, so if somebody applies this while I'm away...  please
send a reminder to the mailing list after cleaning this up.