Re: switch-to-buffer: for interactive use only

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: switch-to-buffer: for interactive use only
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 08:43:52 +0200

> There are two different uses of switch-to-buffer:
> - the ones like in unbury-buffer where the main point is that it
>   operates on the selected window.
> - the ones like in find-file where the main point is that it wants to
>   display a given buffer.
>
> In single-frame circumstances, the two cases are identical, so most
> authors who use Emacs in a single-frame mode don't even realize that
> there's a choice to be made.

They are identical for the single-frame/single-window case.  The main
difference is that `switch-to-buffer' doesn't care whether the selected
window is weakly dedicated.

> PS: BTW, I think the interactive use of switch-to-buffer is "the second
> case" (and should hence call pop-to-buffer-same-window).

If this refers to the two cases cited above, then I think that the
interactive use of `switch-to-buffer' is "the first case" and should not
call `pop-to-buffer-same-window'.

martin