The `link' face.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: The `link' face.
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 10:15:22 -0400

I don't like much the new appearance of links in blue.
I understand the motivation behind it, but:
- it's louder (and I find it more ugly) than before, yet no-one
  complained about it being "unclear".
- it begs the question "what's the intended difference between the button
  and the link faces".
- while the "blue underlined" might be considered "the standard link
  appearance", when I look at web pages in my browser (with default
  config), I see that old-style plain pages indeed use "blue underlined"
  (and even bold for debbugs), whereas more modern designs
  (e.g. wikipedia and many more) use something more subdued such as just
  "blue with an underline for mouse highlighting", or even "nothing +
  mouse highlighting" when the context makes it clear that it's a link
  (e.g. for tab-like thingies, or menus, ...).

So I'm tempted to change the `link' face by removing "blue" from it
(most of the links use button.el so they used to appear as just
"underline" without any blue, so it would leave the appearance mostly
unchanged compared to Emacs-23).

        Stefan