Re: `vertical-motion', `goto-line' set point to invisible text

From: Dmitry Kurochkin
Subject: Re: `vertical-motion', `goto-line' set point to invisible text
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 17:13:21 +0400

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 03:56:55 -0400, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > From: Dmitry Kurochkin <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden
> > Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 07:52:09 +0400
> >
> >   (progn (switch-to-buffer "test")
> >          (insert "aline1\nbline2\ncline3\n")
> >          (put-text-property 7 14 'invisible t)
> >          (goto-char (point-min)))
> >
> > Now if you run M-: (progn (end-of-visual-line) (point)), it moves to
> > point 14, which is end of line 2 as expected.  But then emacs adjusts
> > the point and moves it to beginning of line3, C-x = says point is 15.
>
> Interestingly, the first time you do this, there's no adjustment from
> 14 to 15.  Sounds like some snafu with the last point position?
>
> I can confirm that this happens because point adjustment: setting
> global-disable-point-adjustment to non-nil eliminates the problem:
> point stays at position 14.
>
> Also, C-e behaves correctly no matter what.  So it's something
> specific to end-of-visual-line or vertical-motion.
>
> Perhaps stepping through adjust_point_for_property with a debugger
> will show what's wrong.

I have opened a bug report #9034 [1] for this issue.  Hopefully it would
get some attention.  Seems it should not be too hard to investigate
investigate the problem for somebody how understands the code well
enough.

Please provide additional details for the bug report if I missed
anything.

Regards,
  Dmitry

[1] http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9034