Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 10:38:16 -0400

    > Was an MTA installed and not configured?
    > Was an MTA installed and configured wrong?
    > If so, which MTA was it?

    I've seen it with sendmail, postfix, and exim, but that was
    several years ago.  I cannot provide more recent data on such
    large installations, unfortunately.

On a multi-user machine, if mail is totally broken, the sysadmins
will get a bug report.  We can expect that mail on such machines
more or less works.

    For modern, individual installations, I can tell you that for
    GNU/Linux systems like Ubuntu, there typically won't be an MTA
    installed.

It should be easy to determine that no MTA is installed.

               If there is an MTA installed, I suspect that it won't
    be configured usefully - I'm not sure that there's a clear line
    between `not configured' and `configured wrong' in many of these
    cases.

Even though you aren't sure there is a clear line,
we might find one if we look.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation