Change `customize-save-variable' to work under "emacs -Q"?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Change `customize-save-variable' to work under "emacs -Q"?
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 14:22:55 +0200

If you run "emacs -Q", and you have a piece of code that calls
`customize-save-variable', it will error out, saying that it won't
overwrite the conf.

Would anybody mind if I changed that function to not error out, but
instead just do a `setq' on the variable in question, if we're running
under -Q?

Otherwise all the callers end up doing this very awkward thing:

        (if (ignore-errors (custom-file))
            (progn
              (customize-save-variable 'smtpmail-smtp-server server)
              (customize-save-variable 'smtpmail-smtp-service port))
          (setq smtpmail-smtp-server server
                smtpmail-smtp-service port))