Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 14:27:44 +0200

Tim Cross <address@hidden> writes:

> I thought it was going to be configured on Windows systems to
> use the user's default mail client. This was the previous default for
> win32 wasn't it?

The problem of silently failing is much less of an issue on Windows,
since if you haven't configured your email client there, Windows will
guide you through that.

On the other hand, I think the user experience of sending mail using
`mailclient-send-it' is pretty awful.  It pops up a different mail
client, and then you have to click buttons in that to actually send the
email.

So while changing the default on Windows isn't that vital, I think it's
better (overall) for people to use the built-in SMTP on Windows, too.