Re: Building Emacs trunk on Windows 7, using MinGW + MSYS

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Building Emacs trunk on Windows 7, using MinGW + MSYS
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 21:51:42 +0800

> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 16:29, Dani Moncayo <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> It doesn't, I'm afraid (I think tried it before).
>
> Curious.
>
> Your bootstrapping stops here:
>
>   cmd /c "fc /b gl-tmp globals.h >nul 2>&1 || cp -f gl-tmp globals.h"
>   Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
>   Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>
> which seems to indicate that instead of running the fc.exe tool with
> /c, it is entering a sub-shell. Can you set the PATH, change to src/
> and execute that command directly at the CMD prompt? Try also
> executing that in the MSYS sh.exe. Let's see what do you find.

I also get this behaviour.  Running the same command line at the shell
prompt seems to work (even including cmd /c, to run it in a subshell),
and exiting from that shell lets the build continue to successful
completion.

I am using GNU make 3.81 (i386-mingw) on Vista, with no unix-like shells
anywhere on my PATH.