Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: chad
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 20:11:01 -0700

On Jul 9, 2011, at 7:38 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:

On a multi-user machine, if mail is totally broken, the sysadmins
will get a bug report.  We can expect that mail on such machines
more or less works.

On most of the multi-user machines of which I'm currently aware
(again, many fewer than ~10 years ago), mail often `works', but
local delivery for users does not exist and is not desired. That is,
users can send mail, but do/can not receive it on the local machine.

      If there is an MTA installed, I suspect that it won't
   be configured usefully - I'm not sure that there's a clear line
   between `not configured' and `configured wrong' in many of these
   cases.

Even though you aren't sure there is a clear line,
we might find one if we look.

Absolutely.  I hope my memories and recent experiences have been
at least somewhat helpful in figuring out where to look.

*Chad