Re: switch-to-buffer: for interactive use only

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: switch-to-buffer: for interactive use only
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 19:18:02 +0200

> I'm not so concerned about display-buffer-function; it's up to the users
> of that to DTRT.  As for display-buffer-alist, we can bind it to nil
> within switch-to-buffer.

I think that we want two types of `switch-to-buffer' functions:

(1) The one where using any window but the selected doesn't make sense.
    This seems the case for C-x b and maybe a few other cases.  We could
    use a `set-window-buffer' based function here and error out if the
    selected window is strongly dedicated or the minibuffer window.
    Call this function `switch-to-buffer-same-window' and bind C-x b to
    it.  This function would be marked as not callable from Elisp.

(2) A function that pops to a buffer, preferably in the selected window.
    This is the case for almost all other calls of `switch-to-buffer'.
    For this we could rewrite `switch-to-buffer' to call `pop-to-buffer'
    with the 'same-window argument and, if Stefan insists, make it reuse
    the same window even if it's weakly dedicated.  This function would
    be callable from Elisp.

Anything wrong with this approach?

martin