Re: zap-to-char too raw, or document

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: zap-to-char too raw, or document
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:01:49 +0200

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
>
>  > Should there be an interactive spec that allows reading one character,
>  > but allows input methods?  Or does that make no sense?
>
> Yes, there should be such a spec.  Personally, I would expect "c" to
> be that spec.  This does make sense both conceptually and
> implementation-wise because input methods conceptually operate as a
> "preedit" stage.

I have my reservations about that.  When reading a single character, you
don't get to use backspace and other methods of amelioration, so c is
often more useful for things like answering questions than editing.

When I answer a y/n style question, I would not want to have a
latin-1-postfix input method waiting in order to figure out whether I
want to adorn my n with a ~ in order to get ñ.

For zap-to-char, things look different.  So I am with Lars in that there
should be different interactive specs for with and without input
methods, like we have s (without input method) and M (with current input
method).

--
David Kastrup