Re: Change `customize-save-variable' to work under "emacs -Q"?

From: Christoph Scholtes
Subject: Re: Change `customize-save-variable' to work under "emacs -Q"?
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 08:33:03 -0600

On 7/10/2011 6:22 AM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
If you run "emacs -Q", and you have a piece of code that calls
`customize-save-variable', it will error out, saying that it won't
overwrite the conf.

Would anybody mind if I changed that function to not error out, but
instead just do a `setq' on the variable in question, if we're running
under -Q?

I am not sure if this is related to this, but I just encountered a rather awkward situation. I run on Windows with my configuration stored in `~/.emacs.d/init.el'.

I did a recipe for a bug from `emacs -Q' and tried to submit a bug report. It asked me whether I wanted to save the SMTP setup, which I replied no to. It then proceeded to pop up the configured MUA (Thunderbird) to send the bug report.

Next time I launched Emacs it did not load any of my custom configurations.

Turns out it wrote a `.emacs' to to ~/, which contained the

'(sendmail-query-once-function (quote mailclient-send-it) t)

and was loaded in favor of my configuration in `.emacs.d'.

I can see this potentially being very confusing for people.

Do we have to save this custom variable even when running `emacs -Q'?

Christoph