Re: Paired delimiters

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Paired delimiters
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:10:15 -0400

> The Elisp manual says that the "paired delimiter" syntax class is "like
> string quote characters except that the syntactic properties of the
> characters between the delimiters are not suppressed".  But the description
> of the string syntax class doesn't talk about "suppressing" anything.  So,
> I am at a loss to understand what the difference is between the string class
> and paired delimiter class.

It's not very well defined, really.  Basically it means things like:

       "{" is perfectly valid
whereas
       ${$ is ill-balanced

and

       "foo % this is not a comment"
whereas
       $foo % this is a comment and this $ does not match the other.

> The context of my query is that I am trying to get the autopair-mode
>  http://code.google.com/p/autopair/
> to correctly in LaTeX-mode.

FWIW you may also like to take a look at electric-pair-mode (new in
Emacs-24).

        Stefan