Re: Colour picker widget

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Colour picker widget
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 13:40:25 +0000 (UTC)

Drew Adams <drew.adams <at> oracle.com> writes:

> > Interesting - my main intent with the colour-grid was to add
> > something that could be used in defcustom entries and the like.
> > It would be interesting to add some pf palette's funcitonality
> > to that.
>
> I agree that it would be good to add this kind of color picking to Customize.
> This was brought up long ago, but it is still a good idea.
>
> Customize is good, but its UI could be improved by letting it reach out
> to get a resulting value using other UI extensions.

FWIW, this is one of those "extra" features in the NS port that
survived the great purge.  If you have access to a Mac you can
pull up a color picker in Emacs.app with Cmd-C.  Drag a color to
a face to set it just on that frame, option-drag to set
background.  It uses set-face-foreground/background, settings
which used to be persisted using NS defaults, but no longer.
Hooking it up to customize instead might be a good idea,
particularly if other platforms add a widget and it can be done
in a standard way.

thanks,
Adrian