VC and too long command lines

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: VC and too long command lines
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:55:28 +0200

Recently I came across a problem when using VC in Emacs. I had just added a whole bunch of files to my Bazaar repository and wanted to commit them all. I chose to mark them all in vc-dir and then tried to commit them.

However...

File error: "Spawning child process", "exec format error"

Of course, the command line was simply too long (approximately 66,000 characters) for my operating system to handle (Windows 7 64-bit).

What should Emacs do when this happens?

I think the most appropriate thing would be to add some functionality which determines the maximum command line length for the current system and if the call exceeds that length, tell the user about it. Another way would be to e.g. divide the commit into several smaller commits and appending something along the lines of "(commit N of M)" to each commit message.

What do you think?  I think this is quite an important issue.

Deniz