Re: tramp does not work when using athena

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: tramp does not work when using athena
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 22:08:34 +0200

Michael Albinus writes:
> David Engster <address@hidden> writes:
>> are there any news on that front? I'm afraid I'm struggling with the
>> same problem on GNU/Linux with a Lucid-build. While using 'sshx' works
>> in principal, it fails to use a shared ssh connection, which is pretty
>> important for me when using Tramp in eshell, otherwise it's just too
>> slow. (Emacs/GTK works fine, though.)
>
> Looks to me like you need a combination of scpc and sshx. Hmm, that's a
> problem, Tramp does not support to combine methods.
>
> What about creating your own method? Something like this in your .emacs:

[...]

Thanks Michael, this special 'myssh' method works.

I can also confirm that Ralf's suggestion to use Lucid in combination
with '--without-gconf' does also work with the normal 'ssh' method. This
is what I'm using now since I don't care for gconf anyway. Thanks Ralf!

It is just a bit strange that it depends on the toolkit and/or gconf
whether ssh can allocate a pseudo terminal or not. The manual says that
this is a common problem with older ssh and cygwin, but I see the exact
same problem with a Lucid&gconf build and OpenSSH 5.8p2:

M-x eshell
ssh somehost
"Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal"

(The login works, but no prompt is appearing.)

Cheers,
David