Re: tramp does not work when using athena

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: tramp does not work when using athena
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 10:51:41 +0200

Hello.

Ralf Schmitt skrev 2011-07-18 10.31:
David Engster<address@hidden>  writes:

are there any news on that front? I'm afraid I'm struggling with the
same problem on GNU/Linux with a Lucid-build. While using 'sshx' works
in principal, it fails to use a shared ssh connection, which is pretty
important for me when using Tramp in eshell, otherwise it's just too
slow. (Emacs/GTK works fine, though.)

I can give you some more details on the problem itself. tramp uses
start-process to execute a shell and wait for the initial prompt. But
the shell doesn't output one, since stdin is not connected to a tty (It
should be). I used the following short program:

,----[ isatty.c ]
| #include<stdio.h>
| #include<unistd.h>
|
| int main(int argc, char **argv)
| {
|     fprintf(stdout, isatty(1) ? "yes\n" : "no\n");
|     return 0;
| }
`----

Running the following command

,----
| [py27] [git:master+] ~/vendor/emacs/ % src/emacs -Q --execute '(progn (start-process "test"
"test" "/home/ralf/isatty")(switch-to-buffer "test"))'

| (process:18919): GLib-WARNING **: In call to g_spawn_sync(), exit status of a
child process was requested but SIGCHLD action was set to SIG_IGN and ECHILD
was received by waitpid(), so exit status can't be returned. This is a bug in
the program calling g_spawn_sync(); either don't request the exit status, or
don't set the SIGCHLD action.
| Warning: Cannot convert string "Inconsolata-11" to type FontStruct
`----

gives me a buffer with the string "no". The above warning message looks
like another problem.

I worked around the issue by configuring with
,----
| ./configure --with-x-toolkit=athena --with-xft --without-gconf --without-rsvg
`----

There is something else going on here. I can not reproduce this error, I always get "yes" in the buffer. Futhermore, g_spawn_sync is a function in glib. But Emacs never calls it, so where does it come from? Can you run strace on your Emacs to see what it tries to spawn? Since you leave out gconf and rsvg, glib does not get linked in, so the problem dissapears.

You should file a proper bug report so we can see how you configured your Emacs. Also, what system do you run on?

        Jan D.