webkit emacs support notes

From: joakim
Subject: webkit emacs support notes
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:42:46 +0200

The xwidget webkit support for embedding a webkit instance is usable now
and I use it in my primary Emacs.

I have written some docs in README.xwidgets in the xwidget emacs branch.

I would like to add more information about how Emacs interfaces with a
browser, so if you have any hints you can add that would be helpful.

the point of xwidget webkit is to let Emacs do all the grunt work and
webkit do the rendering stuff. So , bookmarks etc work out of the box.

Stuff in particular I want help with are:

- download handling
There is wget.el, but there doesnt seem to be a url.el interface to
handle downloads?  there ought to be a download interface and
implementations beneath.

- isearch
I dont really have a clue, but it ought to be possible to something like
docview.el.

- history

there must already be something like firefox "awesome bar" in Emacs. In
particular there must be something implemented on top of
"anything.el". Help please?

Notes from README that Id like help with follows:

*** webkit hints
If you got webkit working, great! Please note, though, that the
current support is far from a full fledged browser. My focus is on
delivering a component that can be used to build a full emacs based
browser on. Since I implement a browse-url function you can get quite
far just by:

(setq browse-url-browser-function 'xwidget-webkit-browse-url)

then all Emacs browser interface systems work to a degree.
heres stuff I use currenly

- m-x anything-surfraw interfaces to search engines
- C-o in org mode opens links inside org
- m-x ffap opens links anywhere in a buffer
- m-x gtk-lookup-symbol searches gtk docs
- m-x bookmark-jump
etc..

I'll add more examples as I go along.

However theres lots of support missing, see TODO list for
information. Briefly:
- download handling
- keyboard field navigation
- isearch
- history
- sites that use flash. I dont really care about this issue so its
unlikely to be fixed. Just a heads up.
--
Joakim Verona