Building Emacs with graphics support on a Mac system

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Building Emacs with graphics support on a Mac system
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 01:16:18 -0400

I am struggling trying to get -ljpeg support on Mac OS X (Lion).  I can build Emacs without graphics support just fine using XCode4 support but I would now like to add some of the helpful additions that come with graphics and image support.  My first attempt was to use MacPorts and install the jpeg package.  I moved the jpeg include and lib files into /usr/include and /usr/lib but configure still fails to detect jpeg support.  Before I try to grok the autoconf script I am curious to know what approach is used by those who do build on and for Mac OS X hardware to achieve graphics and image support.

Thanks,

-pmr