Re: State of the CEDET merge

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: State of the CEDET merge
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 10:14:57 +0200

David Engster <address@hidden> writes:

> Lluís writes:
>> In fact, I'm only tracking changes introduced in Emacs. But not those
>> introduced after my last merge for a specific file (these will have to
>> be manually re-checked).
>>
>> Changes in the cedet trunk should be automatically merged when I merge
>> the branch.
>
> I must admit I don't fully understand the 'file-rename' branch,
> especially at what point you would call this branch "finished". Could
> you (very roughly) outline how you plan to merge the different versions
> in the end? Since both versions differ substantially, I guess you would
> need some kind of diff-file which contains the (wanted) differences
> between the two versions, like the Gnus people use?
>
>> All this, added with my lack of elisp skill, knowledge on cedet
>> internals and knowledge on what has been changed and why, make the task
>> a tough one.
>
> It would help if you could name some concrete tasks which have to be
> done next. I've seen the 'open_issues' file, but I don't really
> understand those items listed there. Please don't take these questions
> the wrong way; I very much appreciate your work you've already done on
> the merge and the bzr transition.

So, a number of months have passed, and feature freezes are around the
corner or done.  Does it mean that we are finally planning to ship
Emacs-24 with unmaintainable binary content without source code, the
preferred form of modification?  Because that is what the compiled CEDET
parsers are.  The grammars are notably absent, and so are the parser
generators (bovinator, wisent and something else) and their
documentation.

--
David Kastrup