Re: enforcing double-width CJK character display

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: enforcing double-width CJK character display
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 17:59:12 +0200

On Sunday, 24.07.2011, Kan-Ru Chen wrote:

> Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>   1. scale the CJK font so that its (CJK) glyphs are exactly the
>>      double width of a given mono-width font
>>
>>   2. pad the CJK font horizontally with space around each CJK
>>      character
>>
>> I tend towards solution 2 and I wonder whether Emacs already provides
>> a means to do that, or maybe this can be handled on the FontConfig
>> level.
>
> +1 for this.

+2

Currently I'm manually doing the "solution" 1 -- find a font that is
exactly twice as wide as the prevalent latin font. Unfortunately such a
font will also be higher, so it doesn't look quite as well.

=== related but off-subject ===
I'd also like to reiterate that Emacs' current font selection is
obviously suboptimal in more ways than this -- there are cases where
Emacs displays boxes instead of characters, although it

1) has access to the appropriate font (and other applications s.a.
Firefox select it properly).

2) There is no other font which includes the code point, so the
selection should be obvious, right?

3) I have no related customisation that would prevent Emacs from
selecting it automatically.

4) It works (as in, displays properly in Emacs) when I select the font
manually.

I've posted about that to emacs.help[1] before some time, but got no reply.
I'll file a bug report, but thought I'd try to mention it here as well
first in case anyone had any related idea or experience to share.

[1] <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/79766>
=== thanks for reading ===

--
Štěpán