Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: grischka
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 13:22:13 +0200

martin rudalics wrote:
 > What I'm trying to say:  After the two windows approach has worked
 > quite well for a while, what about now concerning yourself with say
 > three windows.  To begin with, THREE.  Three is not a just a number.
 > It is a world on its own.

Indeed.  We should at least think about the third world sometimes.

That too.

Well, let me ask a practical question to see what I can do with
your new features:

Basically I'm fine with the traditional two-windows emacs, I just
want *Compilation* and *grep* have their own (third) window.  This
additional window should be on a second frame placed on the right
screen side with say 40% width and 60% height.  Like this:

  +--------------screen-------------+
  | +---1.frame---+ +--2.frame--+   |
  | |             | |           |   |
  | |  files      | |  compile  |   |
  | |             | |  grep     |   |
  | |             | |           |   |
  | |             | |           |   |
  | |             | +-----------+   |
  | |             |                 |

So when I hit the "compile" key I want the second frame to open unless
it is already open and I want the compilation output go to this frame.

Plus, when I click on a compilation error line, I want this file being
shown in the first frame, replacing whatever there is.

How do I get this?

Thanks,

--- grischka