Re: Emacs in the Cloud

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Emacs in the Cloud
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:09:15 +0200

David Engster <address@hidden> writes:

> Bill Wohler writes:
>> I've used tramp for opening files, but it seems that it would be painful
>> if impossible for replacing an interactive shell session. Can you use it
>> this way?
>
> In eshell you can do
>
> cd /ssh:somemachine:
> df
>
> and it will call 'df' remotely. This of course involves some serious
> trickery with redirecting stdout to files and transferring them, and
> even with a shared ssh connection this is way slower than using a
> terminal directly. Still, it's pretty impressive and something I use
> regularly.

Yes these are the sort of things I regularily wish were stable enough
for my everyday use. I haven't been able to assist so far.

Maybe this is on topic with regards to the original topic:
A cluster of Emacsen running on different machines sharing state over
the newish tcp based emacsclient interface. Maybe with Rudel and Guile
somewhere in there in the mix :) I would love for Emacs and Lisp to be
my single point of contact to the world of machines. Were not there yet.

--
Joakim Verona