Re: New build process?

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: New build process?
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:16:04 -0700

On 7/26/11 1:00 PM, David Reitter wrote:
> As others have said here, people expect to be able to do ./configure; make
> install.

Sure, but having to run autogen.sh on a project that's just been checked out of
version control is also very common in the free software world, and our actual
source tarballs do contain pre-built autoconf scripts.  The problem with a
self-replacing configure script is that, as you mentioned, it'd be hard to tell
bzr to version the placeholder script, but ignore the generated one; solving
this problem by using a nonstandard name for the generated `configure'  script
would be surprising.  I think our current approach is fine.