dired-use-ls-dired docstring still not quite right

From: Randal L. Schwartz
Subject: dired-use-ls-dired docstring still not quite right
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 15:45:00 -0700

The docstring for dired-use-ls-direcd includes:

    Note that if you set this option to nil, either through choice or
    because your "ls" program does not support "--dired", Dired
    will fail to parse some "unusual" file names, e.g. those with leading
    spaces.  You might want to install ls from GNU Coreutils, which does
    support this option.  Alternatively, you might want to use Emacs's
    own emulation of "ls", by using:
      (setq ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program nil)
      (require 'ls-lisp)
    This is used by default on MS Windows, which does not have an "ls"
    program.
    Note that `ls-lisp' does not support as many options as GNU ls, though.
    For more details, see Info node `(emacs)ls in Lisp'.

I don't wish to force the loading of ls-lisp in my .emacs (it's already
slow enough), so there should be a hook in dired to load it when needed.

Can I get the authors of dired to consider that when dired-use-ls-dired
is already nil, to go ahead and load ls-lisp so that it works properly?

Or is there something I can add in .emacs that says "load ls-lisp when
dired is needed" directly?

Actually, it should probably be loaded whenever anyone wants to call ls
and try to pass it --dired.  Can that be done instead?

<address@hidden> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>