Re: New build process?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: New build process?
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 22:58:01 -0400

    Sure, but having to run autogen.sh on a project that's just been checked
out of
    version control is also very common in the free software world, and our
actual
    source tarballs do contain pre-built autoconf scripts.  The problem with a
    self-replacing configure script is that, as you mentioned, it'd be hard to
tell
    bzr to version the placeholder script, but ignore the generated one; solving
    this problem by using a nonstandard name for the generated `configure'
script
    would be surprising.  I think our current approach is fine.

We could call the current configuration script `configure-internal'.
Then have a small `configure' script that checks whether the
`configure-internal' file exists and is up to date, and if not,
generates it.  Then it would run `configure-internal'.

This would DTRT in all cases, wouldn't it?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation