Re: New build process?

From: Peter Münster
Subject: Re: New build process?
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:43:52 +0200

On Wed, Jul 27 2011, Tim Cross wrote:

>> I don't see a big problem with the file name, but eventually you could
>> merge its content into INSTALL and then remove INSTALL.BZR.
>
> Except i don't believe you need to do this step when installing from a
> tar ball - the configure script is usually provided. Therefore,
> putting the instructions in the same file could confuse those building
> from official non-evelopment releases (I'm assuming thats why they are
> separated into two files now).

Of course, when I say "merge", I mean something like

    "If you install from bzr/git, please read section x.y for
     additional steps."

somewhere in the beginning. Or you keep INSTALL.BZR and refer to it in
INSTALL.

> As you say, it not a big problem and I think its a communication issue
> rather than a technical one and requires (possibly) requires a
> communication fix rather than a technical one.

Indeed. The only issue is, that someone does not take the effort to open
INSTALL.BZR ... ;-)

--
           Peter