Re: Compiled files without sources????

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Compiled files without sources????
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 01:53:38 -0400

    CEDET uses parsers for figuring out syntax of languages.  It has parser
    generators that convert bison grammars to Elisp.  The parser generators
    are not in Emacs (inconvenient), and the bison grammars from which the
    parsers are generated are not in Emacs (bad).

The bison grammars MUST be included in Emacs if the parsers are.  The
bison grammars are the source code.  If the Emacs release contains a
compiled program and not its source code, anyone redistributing that
release by itself would violate the GPL.

We must not lead people to violate the GPL!

The parser generators don't have to be included in Emacs as long
as they are free software and we say where to find them.

    It is not clear to me what other files may be affected by stripping
    CEDET to a runtime environment and matching it to the Emacs tree.

I do not understand what that means, or how it relates to the issue.
Could you explain?

    At least the following files, according to the comment section in them,
    are autogenerated from (nondistributed) grammar files with extension wy
    and by.

Thanks for the explanation.  This is a serious issue.

To understand the situation, I need to know one more thing.
Which versions of Emacs are these non-source files included in?

Just some Bzr branches?  Some pretests?  Some releases?
If they are in some releases, which ones?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation