Re: Maintainer overview

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Maintainer overview
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:35:46 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think it would be very nice if we had such a list of
>> packages/maintainers -- that was up-to-date.
>
> We have something in admin/MAINTAINERS.

It's a starting point.

>> What I'd ideally like to see is to be able to say `C package TAB' (in
>> debbugs-gnu mode, of course) and see what packages a bug report can be
>> assigned to, and have the maintainer(s) Cc'd on the existence of the bug
>> report.
>
> What about source files that are not packages, like code written in C,
> or issues that are not confined to a single file/package?

Perhaps "area" is a better concept than "package".  I mean, Ted and
Juanma would probably appreciate being notified on gnutls issues, and
you would like (or "like" :-)) to get bidi notifications.

However, areas that are mostly covered by people who are participating
actively on emacs-devel already don't really need to get these
notifications, since we all read emacs-bugs already, don't we?  :-)

So, while nice, it's probably more useful for packages maintained by
people who don't read these lists regularly.

So, yes, "area".  And I'd suggest a file format like

bidi: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>

gnutls: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
 Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>

gnus,message: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>