Re: New build process?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: New build process?
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:45:35 -0400

    The *real* dinosaurs just type "make".  The "./configure; make"
    business is a relative latecomer.

The GNU configure spec was developed in the mid 80s,
rather early in the development of GNU Emacs.
In other words, all us dinosaurs are used to it.
I think you're talking about trilobites.

This GNUmakefile is a good hack.  However, it would be good
to also do the one I suggested, for the sake of people who
know and use the GNU configure spec.  That should be even easier
now, since the code from GNUmakefile can be reused.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation