Re: Proposed patch: allow user to disable lockfile creation

From: Dave Abrahams
Subject: Re: Proposed patch: allow user to disable lockfile creation
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 20:51:41 -0400

on Thu Jul 28 2011, Tim Cross <theophilusx-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems that the issue isn't really about conflict detection per se,
> but rather how emacs implements it via symlinks.

It's actually more than that.  The scheme is simultaneously
over-cautious and yet full of holes.  It's predicated on the idea that
everybody who might touch the file simultaneously is using Emacs, but
that's obviously a fallacy.  Any program that doesn't respect Emacs'
convention and look for the lock file (e.g. every command-line tool in
existence) will happily write the file even when I have a lock on it.
Furthermore, Emacs is perfectly capable of telling me when that has
happened before I save... at least it seems to work pretty darned
reliably.  So I think this feature made sense once upon a time but is
now just a vestigial flipper.

Am I missing something?  I could be.

--
Dave Abrahams