Re: Emacs in the Cloud

From: Andrew W. Nosenko
Subject: Re: Emacs in the Cloud
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 01:59:32 +0300

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 17:09, Julien Danjou <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25 2011, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> I use a graphical gtk based emacs everyday, and I also use terminal
>> based Emacs sessions every day. Hardened remote servers will continue to
>> actively not have any X installations for years to come. Terminal Emacs
>> sessions clearly makes life more liveable in those cases.
>
> Does not sound like a good argument. Tunneled display over ssh already
> exists for X11 for years. Tunneling HTML data does not sound like
> something very hard to accomplish neither. :)

1. Are you even tried to do such in real live (tunnel X11 through
SSH)?  Not in laboratory environment and fast LAN, but in the real
live, through not so fast channels and with server in a some another
country?  Hint: I tried and found that 3 seconds for redraw Open File
dialog is too much for me.

2. Even inside one machine and one user always exists a room for
terminal.  It was not once and not twice when ability to connect to
Emacs server from a terminal (from console, if more preciously) was a
lifebuoy when local X session become mad.

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <address@hidden>