Re: Proposed patch: allow user to disable lockfile creation

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Proposed patch: allow user to disable lockfile creation
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 09:36:33 +0200

>     Any locking scheme should make sure that it does not interact with other
>     programs: quite often I start a compilation and continue editing the
>     file in question, making sure I don't save until the compilation has
>     finished.
>
> If Emacs uses an advisory lock, and the PDF viewer does not use one,
> will that give the desired result?

The PDF viewer was an example for an application that causes grief by
locking in connection with compilation processes.  One does not need
Emacs to have, say, a LaTeX compilation fail because a PDF viewer blocks
the resulting file.

I was trying to say that we should try to keep Emacs from being as
annoying in program/file interaction as those viewers are.

I have no personal experience with advisory locking, so I can't answer
your question.  Maybe somebody else can?

--
David Kastrup