Re: Proposed patch: allow user to disable lockfile creation

From: Dave Abrahams
Subject: Re: Proposed patch: allow user to disable lockfile creation
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 08:46:15 -0400

on Fri Jul 29 2011, Richard Stallman <rms-AT-gnu.org> wrote:

>      However, many systems now have a 'switch user' context, which
>     allows the desktop to switch to another user without the previous use
>     logging out. Potentially, this could have locking implications.
>
> That is true.
>
> If clash detection were done with advisory locks, it might be so
> painless that nobody would want to ever disable it.

Might be.  I'm all for any change that requires no additional user
options.  We might discover after releasing it that we still need the
option, but that kind of change would solve my immediate issue without
making things worse.  Unfortunately, it's not a change I know how to
make, so someone else would need to supply the patch.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing