Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 00:55:16 +0200 (CEST)

> FYI
>
> (Running for cover...)

I've just compiled Emacs from the bzr sources (revision 105365), using
mew as the mailing program.  Starting with this new default, scrolling
in mew's trash mail summary buffer (which contains a lot of Arabic
spam; in total, it has about 18000 lines currently) works extremely
bad -- this is on my GNU/Linux box with an i686 chip yielding 3325
BogoMIPS.  I'm very sorry, but for me the current behaviour is
completely unacceptable.

With bidi-dislay-reordering set to `nil', holding the the up or down
cursor keys pressed causes a smooth scrolling, either forwards or
backwards.  Setting it to `t', there is no smooth scrolling any more.
Instead, the cursor jumps, with large delays, to its final position.

    Werner