Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 09:36:00 +0200 (CEST)

>> Thanks.  Does a limit exist (say, 100kByte) as a maximum value for
>> a paragraph length after that bidi-paragraph-direction is
>> automatically set to right-to-left (if not overridden specifically)
>> to circumvent this problem?
>
> You mean left-to-right, not right-to-left, yes?

Yes.  Sorry for the typo.

> There's no such feature currently, no.  It could be easily added,
> but I'm not sure such a heuristics is justified; it certainly can Do
> The Wrong Thing in some cases, e.g., I could imagine a similar use
> case with some mail summary buffer, but with the message numbers
> spelled in Arabic digits and most of the Subject lines in Arabic or
> Farsi.  In that case, the correct direction is actually
> right-to-left.  As another example, I have a large text file with
> the entire Bible in Hebrew, which is again one huge paragraph -- but
> its direction should be right-to-left.

Yes, such a limit would do the wrong thing in many cases, but we are
talking about a technical limitation: the question is whether it is
more important to have acceptable cursor motion with in a buffer or
correct display.  I could even imagine that emacs implements a
function to time cursor movements at various places within the buffer.
If it takes too long, emacs should do something, either modifying the
value of bidi-paragraph-direction, or artificially inserting a
paragraph separator, or whatever.

    Werner