Re: HTML5 the new lisp ?

From: joakim
Subject: Re: HTML5 the new lisp ?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 00:26:46 +0200

"Sander Boer" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I know it makes no sense to compare a markup language to a functional
> language, but think of it, HTML5 is the first point of contact of most
> people when it comes to computing, much like the early days of computing
> when lisp was the first language people came into contact with.
>
> More to the point, the reason I bring this up in this group is the fact that
> I find myself
> wondering what emacs would *mean* when it would embrace HTML5 as a
> fundamental integrated platform.
>
> HTML5 is being heralded as the app platform of the coming years, with
> mobile computing taking the lead as the main Internet connecting device.
>
> But personally, I would like to see a good rendering engine, imagine
> what gnus would look like. Come to think of it, imagine how ubiquitous
> HTML5 emails would be in the (near) future - sure, it will also come
> with its own unique set of security concerns, but I seriously wonder if
> text-only email will cut it. ah, hold on with ye flames, after a brief
> stint with HTML signatures, I find myself gravitating towards
> text-only. But that is mainly because HTML in its present incarnation in
> emails is too volatile, but one must admit that volatility is hardly a
> reason that it will *never* work.
>
> Also, auctex, man what would that look like ?
> Or what about HTML5 games ? Gnus vs. Penguins , Angry Emus ?
>
> I noticed Joakim Verona implemented a webkit widget and I was wondering
> how this is received in the land of Fangorn  ?
> I propose a step deeper, a C-level implementation.
>
> It is an absurd idea, but is it not through initial absurdity that
> unimaginable possibilities become unlocked ?
> Are we not Man, is absurdity not our privilege ?

I'm not really sure what you are talking about but if you want to play
with Emacs and HTML5 it is possible in a primitive way with the
xwidget branch. You can create a webkit area in an Emacs buffer and
manipulate it by injecting javascript fragments in it.

I would like to achieve a better elisp/DOM bridge for my purposes but
I'm procrastinating it because it's not obvious how to do it in an
interesting way. (Either by machine generating DOM bindings with
Cedet/SRecode, or by making some form of adapter compatible with
xml-parse-region)

Anyway, if some of this HTML5 enthusiasm could be directed into the
furtherance of the xwidget branch, that would be splendiferous :)

--
Joakim Verona