Re: Compiled files without sources????

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Compiled files without sources????
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 23:37:57 +0900

David Kastrup writes:

 > The FSF is bound to the conditions of the copyright assignment contracts
 > from various contributors, however.  While they are free to pick a
 > number of free licensing arrangements for Emacs code not restricted to
 > the GPL, they are not free to distribute generated code without
 > source.

I stand corrected.

 > Well, you have the advantage of long years of training looking for such
 > pitfalls as project/release manager of XEmacs.

Actually, that has very little to do with it.  We basically have a
philosophy that our product is source code and build/installation
framework, and any prebuilt stuff is purely for installation
convenience.  That makes these decisions (mostly) easy.  The reason I
know anything about this legal stuff is that I take an interest in the
philosophy of software freedom.  Most XEmacs workers, including
previous managers, didn't know or care as much, and didn't have to.

I would think that taking a philosophical interest would be a
prerequisite for maintainership of Emacs, though.

 > Perhaps you should offer courses.

Nah, philosophers are born, not made.