Re: Compilation warnings in cc-mode.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Compilation warnings in cc-mode.el
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 23:11:57 -0400

>> cc-mode.el:158:1:Warning: (lambda nil ...) quoted with ' rather than with #'

> I've had a quite long look at the source code, but can't figure it out.
> I've fixed another bug in that area, though, so thanks for drawing my
> attention to it.  :-)

Most likely it's a ',foo in some macro where `foo' is an argument that ends
up being a (lambda ...) in some cases.

> I'm not altogether sure what that warning means.  Mostly, a (lamda ...)
> isn't quoted at all, surely?  Presumably there's been a change to the
> byte compiler to cause these warnings.

Yes, the change is to output a warning when we detect such a case
(i.e. when (quote (lambda ..)) is passed to funcall, apply, and a few
more special-cased functions).  We used to silently change those to
#'(lambda ..), but now we additionally output a warning since the
meaning of the two is subtly different in the presence of lexical-binding.

        Stefan