Re: other-buffer advice on kill-buffer

From: Jérémy Compostella
Subject: Re: other-buffer advice on kill-buffer
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 12:20:00 +0000 (UTC)

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 02/08/11 02:06, Jérémy Compostella
> > Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >> Just out of curiosity, what buffers are you trying to exclude?
> > I developed an activity manager since I use Emacs as my full desktop
> > environment (Web, Mail, Jabber, Code with different project at the same
> > time).
> >
> > This activity module let me define statically and dynamically
> > activities. Activities are named and have open/enable/disable handlers to
> > modify the Emacs behavior in regards of what I like to do under a
> > particular activity.
>
> That seems interesting. I toyed with the idea in my mind some time ago,
> but couldn't figure out something neat enough to be really
> usable. Ideally, you'd have separate buffer groups, and C-x b with
> ido/iswitchb/whatever would only display the current group. There'd be a
> system to switch activity, with memorised window configurations, and
> notifications (say, ERC or gnus has received new messages, or a
> compilation has finished) would be unified (so you could have one
> keybinding to "switch to the activity requiring attention"). However,
> that all seems a bit hackish, and I wonder if that's not twisting emacs
> around too much.
I didn't really think about the notification stuff. The only notifications I
care about are already bound to the mode-line : jabber and gnus notify me this
way. Especially since my objective is having a distraction-less work optimized
environment (fullscreen, no bar, no window decoration, no scrollbar, ...). I
don't like to be disturbed by notifications.

Note: I wrote this activity buffer filtering mechanism flexible to easily, for
example, associate a jabber buffer to my Linux kernel coding activity just by
calling the interactive jabber-chat-with function.

> Your code looks cool, but I'm thinking of something a little more static
> - ie "c-mode or emacs-lisp-mode files under ~/emacs go to activity
> emacs-hack", etc.
This module is ready for that. The automatic associated buffer is the bonus part
:) For example, this is how I define my Emacs hack activity.
(add-to-list 'available-activities (make-activity :name "Emacs"
                                                    :enable-hook (lambda ()
(toggle-debug-on-error t))
                                                    :disable-hook (lambda ()
(toggle-debug-on-error nil))