Re: Maintainer overview

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Maintainer overview
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:13:48 -0400

> I think the most pleasant way to do this would be to add a slightly more
> formal Maintainer: syntax.  Grepping though the sources, we find stuff
> like:

> vt-control.el:6:;; Maintainer: Rob Riepel <address@hidden>
> whitespace.el:6:;; Maintainer: Vinicius Jose Latorre <address@hidden>
> wid-edit.el:6:;; Maintainer: FSF
> window.el:6:;; Maintainer: FSF
> woman.el:6:;; Maintainer: FSF
> x-dnd.el:6:;; Maintainer: FSF
> xml.el:6:;; Maintainer: Mark A. Hershberger <address@hidden>
> calc/calc-aent.el:6:;; Maintainer: Jay Belanger <address@hidden>
> calc/calcalg2.el:6:;; Maintainer: Jay Belanger <address@hidden>
> calc/calcalg3.el:6:;; Maintainer: Jay Belanger <address@hidden>
> calc/calc-alg.el:6:;; Maintainer: Jay Belanger  <address@hidden>
> calc/calc-arith.el:6:;; Maintainer: Jay Belanger <address@hidden>
> calc/calc-bin.el:6:;; Maintainer: Jay Belanger <address@hidden>

> My suggestion would be to change this to

> ;; Package-maintainer: calc:Jay Belanger <address@hidden>

I don't think we need a new syntax.

We do need to improve the values we set there.  But basically "FSF"
means that the maintainer reads bug-gnu-emacs, and anything else should
mean "I want to receive notifications about commits and pending bugs".

We could add some way to put the email address while at the same time
requesting "please don't auto-send notifications" (for those who
already read bug-gnu-emacs but don't want to mark their package as
maintained by "FSF").

If file foo-bar.el has no Maintainer, then we should defer to the
maintainer of the file foo.el.

If someone could set this up for commits in trunk and in ELPA (where
the Maintainer field should always be provided).

        Stefan